The Monk Kiprian of Ustiug was a rich landowner but, contemning the vanities of the world, he took on the Angelic form with the name Kiprian at the monastery of the Holy Trinity at Gledeno. The inhabitants of the newly-established city of Ustiug besought the Monk Kiprian to build a monastery somewhere not far from the city. The Monk Kiprian, having gone about the city and observed its layout, chose a place near shallow lakes at the Ostrozh falls and he started to construct a cell. By the year 1212 he began to build a monastery in honour of the Entrance (Vvedenie) into the Temple of the MostHoly Mother of God, and a church in the name of the Leader-of-Heavenly-Hosts (Archistratigos) Michael. The inhabitants of Ustiug, seeing the God-worthy like of the holy ascetic, brought him all the necessities for building the monastery, and many began to pursue asceticism together with the Monk Kiprian, who received everyone with joy and with love. The holy monastery grew, and according to the account in the Ustiug Chronicle, the Monk Kiprian "was chosen head of the holy monastery and pastor of the flock of Christ", but out of humility he did not take on the priestly dignity. concerning the monk's ascetic deeds there is in evidence a stone used by him at bedside – during his night prayers the ascetic held it in his hands so as to maintain vigilance and be constantly at prayer. The Monk Kiprian died on 29 September 1276 and was buried in the monastery founded by him. Afterwards at the place of burial was built a church in honour of the Holy Mid-Pentecost.